Possibility of Career In The Corps?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Possibility of Career In The Corps?

So I've been researching and read that it is more difficult than any other branch to make the Marines a career instead of just serving one enlistment. Is this true first of all?

And what are the chances of a 03xx being able to re-enlist and make it a career? Is it harder for Infantry to re-enlist because of the demand?

I really do not want to just serve for four years or so and leave. I know that could all change after I enlist but just wanted to get this all straight.

Thanks in advance.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You are coming up with some good questions....but remember your age....allot can happen in a couple years when you will be able to enlist.

You already hit the nail on the head....worry about becoming a Marine at 17 or 18.....then worry about what you want to do for the next 20 years.

Good luck to you.....

Since I've never served in another branch, can't say if a career in the USMC is more difficult or not.

Your perception of life in the USMC today will change once you are in the fleet. There are elements of daily life you have no concept about at this point but must experience to appreciate (deployments, sharing a room in the barracks, morning formations, duty NCO, weekly field days, etc.). When it comes time for reenlistment you'll have a better idea if you want to make the USMC a career.

Good questions...good luck.

First, when you ask things like, "is it difficult", what are you referring to? Are you asking if it is a tough life, or if the Marine Corps will actually let you make it a career? If you're asking if it is a tough life, that is a subjective question that everyone can answer differently. If you're asking about the competitive aspect of being allowed to stay in the Marine Corps, here is what I posted to a different question someone asked, but still applies:

After your first contract is up you have to compete for what’s called boat spaces. Every year the Marine Corps says they only want a certain number of first term Marines in any given MOS to reenlist. Say for instance out of all the first term infantrymen the Marine Corps only wants to let 200 of them reenlist. Those boat spaces are first come, first serve to all who are eligible. Around the beginning of the fiscal year every first term infantryman becomes eligible to reenlist. If you know you want to get one of those boat spaces you’ll have to go into the career planner’s office on the first day you’re eligible to reenlist to give yourself the best shot at getting a boat space. If you wait a few weeks or a few months, all those boat spaces might be filled up and you’ll be SOL. Then you’ll either have to get out or lat move to another MOS. After you reenlist one time you then are considered a career Marine and will not have to fight for boat spaces after that.

If you make it to your second enlistment, all you have to do is stay out of trouble, and keep progressing and you'll be able to make it to 20 years if that is what you want to do.

Try not to commit suicide after one enlistment as a grunt...

Annnnd one more worthless opine...deleted. 7 day timeout in the box for no profile, and permabanned from answering questions in this particular area. You were warned, and failed to heed same.

I've grown....weary.

Thread Information